Thursday, June 7, 2012

I will take the Ring, though I do not know the way...

I sit beside the fire and think
   Of people long ago,
And people who will see a world
   That I shall never know. p. 271

This quote from Bilbo in Book II, Chapter III of The Fellowship of the Ring reminds me of the Iroquois principle of the seven generations. In Iroquois culture, every decision that we make is made while thinking about the effects on the next seven generations.

It is with this thought of working toward a better future for everyone in Middle Earth that Frodo Baggins decides to leave the Company at the end of The Fellowship of the Ring alone, though the smart Mr. Sam Gamgee figures out his plan just in time to follow the invisible, ring-wearing Frodo into a boat and off to Mordor.

Now I venture into The Two Towers and look forward with both anticipation and fear as to what will be in store for our two favorite halflings... 

No comments:

Post a Comment