Wednesday, May 23, 2012

And what, pray tell, is a Barrow-wight?

Sorry for my absence from the blogosphere, finals kicked my butt last week and I am just now finding time to relax. So now I am back and ready for action!

I am still making my way through The Fellowship of the Ring, and after having made it past the home of Goldberry and Tom Bombadil, I was very confused by the whole Barrow-wight scenario. Obviously our hobbit friends were confused enough themselves as they woke up next to the ominous stone that they picnicked at in the fog-filled valley of the Barrow-downs, but I seriously had to reread chapter 8 twice and still had to look up what a Barrow-wight was. According to the LOTR "One Wiki to Rule Them All" site, Barrow-wights are shapeshifting, evil phantoms that inhabit the treasure tombs of the Barrow-downs.  


"Cold be hand and heart and bone
and cold be sleep under stone
never more to wake on stony bed
never, till the Sun fails and the Moon is dead
In the black wind the stars shall die
and still be gold here let them lie
till the Dark Lord lifts his hand over dead sea and withered land."

                            ~Barrow-wight chant.

I don't know how much this clarify things for everyone else, but I am still slightly confused and hope that I never run into one.

As promised, here is my recipe for Mrs. Maggot's mushroom and bacon, served over eggs for breakfast. Though the recipe calls for four eggs to feed two people, if you are feeding two hobbits (especially in their tweens), you might want to double the amount of eggs. Also, it tastes best with organic, farm fresh eggs from the Shire.

Mushrooms and Bacon Breakfast Recipe


Makes 2 Servings

2 large portobello mushrooms, sliced
1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced
4 eggs (8 if cooking for hobbits)
1/2 cup Amish blue cheese
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon truffle oil
Cilantro (if desired)
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a large saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, saute onions and portobello mushrooms. Set aside.

Crack eggs into a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. In a separate pan, heat the remaining olive oil, then scramble eggs for 4 minutes. Once cooked, plate eggs topped with blue cheese, cilantro and mushrooms, then drizzle with truffle oil.

Enjoy before a long journey, toting a magical ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment