Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Sometimes you need "just a bit of nonsense"

In the past few weeks after a tumultuous semester I have been somewhat procrastinating my reading, which is something that will need to be seriously amended if I am going to make it through 103 books before September. I am going to paraphrase Sam Gamgee in saying that sometimes you need "just a bit of nonsense" in your life, as seen in his example of not-so-proper poetry in Book I, Chapter XII. So I guess that justifies my slacker ways in reading...

I've finally set some time aside each day to seriously focus on this masochistic reading project, and I have now finally progressed up to Book II, Chapter II of The Fellowship of the Ring.  

I have finally completed the dangerous, anxiety-filled journey to Rivendell, which if you have read The Fellowship of the Ring you know that it ends with quite a bit of drama. My heart stopped when the nine Black Riders (Ringwraiths) approached our party of hobbits (along with Strider and Glorfindel) on the road. I nearly ceased to breathe as Frodo galloped on the back of Glorfindel's white horse toward the Ford of Rivendell, and joyously exhaled when the Black Riders were swept away in the flood of the River Bruinen. Tolkien's powerful descriptions and whimsical poems have made this book quite enjoyable thus far.

After Frodo wakes up, recovered in Rivendell he has a long awaited feast with the elves and other guests, before getting to catch up with the estranged Bilbo. Of course, there is now a council meeting discussing the fate of the ring, disturbances coming out of Mordor, and what will happen next. I haven't finished reading the chapter quite yet, but I have a feeling that this happy and peaceful little reunion will becoming to a halt very shortly....


Until next time, which I guarantee will be sooner rather than later...

A red velvet cupcake with the best vanilla bean and cream 
cheese frosting known to man, or hobbit, that I devoured while 
blogging at Heaven Sent Desserts on Wednesday May 30, 2012.



No comments:

Post a Comment