Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mushrooms and bacon: The food of the gods...

Ambrosia - (am-bro-sia) n. Greek & Roman Mythology The food of the gods, thought to confer immortality. (Source)

In actuality, ambrosia is not some awkward (read: disgusting) dish of odd fruits and marshmallows in sour cream (Side note: Who thought that this was a delicious thing to make as a pot luck staple???? The inventor must have really hated their friends.), but instead the idea of ambrosia is embodied in one, perfect food group: Bacon.

Yes, in modern society bacon is the food of the gods. I will not debate this issue. 

So what does this discussion of ambrosia and bacon have to do with The Fellowship of the Ring? At the end of chapter 4, the hobbits - who are the only creatures who like eating more than I do - eat a dish of bacon and mushrooms at Farmer Maggot's house. I've decided that I want to make a recipe for my version of "ambrosia," consisting of bacon, mushrooms, truffle oil, minced chives and flat-lead Italians parsley. No fruit. No sour cream. Definitely no marshmallows. I will post a recipe once I have figured it out...

I'd also like to take a moment to comment on the hobbit meal plan. I would love to eat six, regular meals each day. Let's see, I could wake up to have breakfast, go for a long bike ride, come home and eat second breakfast, take a nap, wake up for elevenses, work on some writing, go to the grocery store, grab afternoon tea (well, let's be honest, coffee) at Lestat's (my neighborhood cafe), come back for a second nap, wake up for supper, and then drink a couple of bottles of wine before drifting back to sleep and waking up the next day to do it all again. I'd be fat and insane from an overconsumption of wine within a month, but I'd probably be wicked jolly.


3 comments:

  1. Love this! Over from Candace's book linky thingy.

    Have you ever done Weekend Cooking at Bethfishreads.com? This would go over really well! Also 4 times a year there is a Novel Foods blog carnivalish compendium of food derived from novels. I've put three or four recipes in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting on my blog and for the compliment. I am actually brand new to the world of blogging, well, rather I am new to being serious about consistently writing blog posts, so Candace's blog carnival was the first that I have done thus far. Is Weekend Cooking a combination of food and reading related posts? I'll have to check it out.

      Delete